Here’s one from my mom, who’s been making this swoon-worthy bowl of green and red for years.
I know, it seems like a lot of dressing. Trust me; you’ll want leftovers.
- 1 lb fresh spinach, washed, dried, and chilled (and chopped, if the leaves are giant)
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, washed and halved or quartered, depending on size
- 1/2 cup (or more) toasted pecan halves
- 1/3 cup champagne vinegar (or, if you have it, a berry-infused vinegar)
- 1/3-1/2 cup sugar (less if you use a sweeter vinegar — or if the berries are especially sweet — more, if not)
- 1/2-1 tsp salt, to taste
- a grind or two of black pepper
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1/2 cup neutral vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 tbsp poppy seeds
- crumbled goat or blue cheese (optional)
Blend the vinegar, salt , pepper, sugar, mustard, and oil (or shake vigorously in a jar you’re certain has a good seal). Add in the poppy seeds. Taste, and adjust seasoning.
Arrange spinach, berries, and toasted nuts in a large bowl or platter. Dress just before serving. Top with goat cheese, if you like (and I do).
Leftover poppyseed dressing will keep for about a week in the fridge.